Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Don't Forget to Ask About Dessert


This past Sunday I was having brunch as I often do at one of my favorite spots, Cafe Lago. The waitress recognized me as a regular and I recalled her as well. It had been a while since she served me. The weather was beautiful.....sunny and high 60's.........so the patio was full and it was busy. I placed my order and then sat back to enjoy the view.


My food was delivered promptly and after savoring it I thought dessert would be a nice ending. I waited for my server to bring by the dessert plate or ask what I would like. Imagine my surprise when she handed me the check! She didn't bring the dessert plate, she didn't ask me if I wanted dessert and here was my completed check!


My first thought was to just pay the bill and get a treat somewhere else. But since I really did want one of their special desserts I asked her to add it to the check. It was a good meal and an okay experience. However, it would have resonated more highly in my mind if she had been the one to ask me about dessert instead of the other way around. She was focused on the mechanics of serving: take the order; deliver the meal; deliver the check; etc. She should have been focused on me and what I may have want or needed.


It occurred to me that our credit unions and other financial institutions may be very similar to this restaurant. The staff goes into process mode when it is busy and just works to get the basic job done. They forget about treating each member as a unique individual and discovering what they may need or want. Sometimes it may be that a series of questions need to be asked. Sometimes it may just be one question. Opportunities to expand the relationship and cultivate loyalty are often missed by the failure to ask.


So I wonder how much business is being left on the table? How many member needs are going unmet? How many members are giving us some of their business but going elsewhere to a provider that will ask them about their wants and needs? How many times are our employees failing to ask our members about dessert?



No comments: