Sunday, July 5, 2009

Why I Twitter


If you’re scratching your head wondering what “Twitter” is or what it means, you’re not alone. This new hip micro-blogging social media platform is just now beginning to go mainstream. In April, Oprah sent her first “tweet” to answer the question “What are you doing” in 140 words or less.

There are a number of articles out there explaining what Twitter is and why you should use it, so I won’t expand here. You have probably gotten an idea from my first paragraph. Hints: micro-blogging, social media, “what are you doing” and 140 words or less.

Rather, I want to share why I, a 40-something boomer or most recently I learned a jonesy (jones generation), have embraced the Twitterverse. Put simply, it’s brief and concise, it’s up-to-the-minute, it’s easy, it’s free, and it’s so cool. What better way to let friends know what you’re doing and as a by-product establish your personal brand? It’s also a great way to connect with new friends and contacts in a way that has not been seen up until now.

My goal with Twitter is to allow those who choose to follow me and view my updates a glimpse into who I am personally and professionally. I tweet about my life, my likes and dislikes, my goals, my dog, my family, and of course, my job as a credit union VP. I’m promoting Carolyn Jordan who happens to work in the credit union movement at Neighborhood CU. It’s my hope that those who get to know me will feel an emotional connection that provides and inspiration or resource that they can use in their life. If they happen to need a financial institution maybe this connection will encourage them to use my credit union. The other side of the coin is that credit union employees and members will get to know me better as well through that same emotional connection.

Someone said a while back that Twitter was like one big chat room. Well, there may be some credibility to that statement…..but it’s so much more than a chat room. It’s hard to explain. With Twitter, I have a ready source of followers in which I can connect to instantly and glean insight. I get the news much quicker than any other source I have used previously. It’s real time….happening right in the moment. And it’s a cool way to record my day and revisit at day’s end. It’s just plain fun…..a wonderful stress reliever.

I wasn’t surprised when my boss, the CEO of our credit union asked who uses Twitter at a recent management meeting, I was the lone ranger. I held up my hand proudly! I know most of my colleagues don’t get it. Someone said it’s too much to keep up with because of the constant updates. Someone else said, isn’t there something similar on Facebook? And others just don’t understand the novelty in answering the question “what are you doing” throughout the day. Hopefully, someone will take the plunge and try it. I did and it has changed my world…..for the better……or as we tweeps say….for the twitter.

No comments: