Saturday, June 14, 2008

Derrick's Married!

Derrick is married! And I have a daughter-in-law. How cool is that? The better part of this year has been spent in preparation for the wedding and now it has come and gone. The real part of marriage begins.

My son's entry in his new role lead to thoughts of marriage in general. It is one of the most complex relationships you will ever experience. The blending of two families can be challenging especially if the values are different. Learning to compromise and come to a consensus on activities are things you may have done at will as a single person takes time. And if you perhaps are a workholic.....well, you either will reform or you may not be married too long. Of course if you married a workholic, this may work out to both your advantages!

And what about the adjustment of the parents? In my case, I was a single parent for a long time and Derrick is my only child. He has a protective sense regarding my well-being and I have to be careful not to abuse this as he now has a wife. I don't mind saying that it's hard as I am so accustomed to calling him for various things. However, I'm adjusting.

My goal is to be a good mother-in-law who does not interfere, minds her own business, and is a support system for both my son and new daughter. I wish them all the best and am looking forward to grandbabies!

No comments: